Hi Helmut,

> is there any strong opinion or even objective evidence [literature]
> for/against using SVD (vs. the mean) when working with data extracted
> from a VOI?

I searched the literature for this a while ago and found that two good
references were Saxe et al., NI 2006, arguing for the mean, vs. Friston
et al., NI 2006 (same issue, I think), arguing for the first
eigenvariate, so there seems to be a certain degree of uncertainty :) I
have not seen an exhaustive simulation definitely favoring the one over
the other.

Cheers,
Marko

Saxe R, Brett M, Kanwisher N, 2006. Divide and conquer: a defense of
functional localizers. NeuroImage 30: 1088-1096

Friston KJ, Rotshtein P, Geng JJ, Sterzer P, Henson RN, 2006. A critique
of functional localisers. NeuroImage 30: 1077-1087
PD Dr. med. Marko Wilke
  Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
  Leiter, Experimentelle Pädiatrische Neurobildgebung
  Universitäts-Kinderklinik
  Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)

Marko Wilke, MD, PhD
  Pediatrician
  Head, Experimental Pediatric Neuroimaging
  University Children's Hospital
  Dept. III (Pediatric Neurology)

Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1
  D - 72076 Tübingen, Germany