In my honest opinion, all subjects need to be processed the same way.
If you have 2 scans, you could use the suggested approaches, or you
could coregister them, then average them in. After averaging , you can
do the rest of the processing.

Averaging should give similar as increasing the NEX.

--

Best Regards, Donald McLaren