Hi Keith,

If you are interested in model comparison, then I'd say you can use whichever number of subjects, irrespectively of the number of connections. In fact, you can make statistical inferences about models in only one individual subject.
However, if you then want to go on and do classical statistical tests on the connectivity parameters, then it might be a good idea to increase the number subjects/parameters per cell.

I'm CCing this to the SPM list in case other people want to comment on it.
Hope this helps!

Marta