Is it possible that there are 2500-3200 2D slices (each in a separate
file), which get concatenated to give 84 3D volumes?

The warning is there because the DICOM headers do not seem to contain
all the information needed to put the slices of data together in an
unambiguous way.  The suggested fix would be to buy a scanner from a
different manufacturer (or maybe ask your local MR pulse-sequence
programmers about it).  Hopefully, the heuristic approach used by the
DICOM conversion in SPM will work in most cases, but I can't
necessarily guarantee this.

Best regards,
-John