Hi Anne,
Well, yes, and there's been a good deal of debate re Clark's assertion that Protestantism wasn’t the formative influence on the association.  It certainly was energized by the St Batholomew's Day Massacre, about which Diarmaid MacCullough and I put forth a modest thesis in a recent article I'm attaching (it's pretty long but you can get the gist of it by reading the first couple of sections and especially the last one).  And the large point of Claydon's work as well as Steve Pincus' books is that the terms shifted in weight and meaning over time.
Best,
Lee