To coin a phrase: ' I agree with Matt'.

We're in sledgehammer and nut territory here.  Setting up a rule to divert
the RAIN postings (or indeed any other messages not related to day to day
business, such as this list) into their own specific folder is the simplest
answer.  You can then delete them all without looking at them or read them
at your leisure.  Five minutes a day while eating your lunchtime sandwich
should be enough.  Rain's proved a great resource over the years and, like
others, I'm very grateful to PeterK for the effort that he's prepared to put
into it for so little immediate reward or, apparently, appreciation.

One thing that has struck me in this exchange, apart from the degree of
willingness to remain in blissful ignorance of what's going on in the wider
world, is the ungracious tone of some of the comments.  Even if it's not for
you, there are ways of saying so which would give less gratuitous offence to
an experienced, helpful and committed professional colleague