A minor thing to add to this interesting discussion - the goodwill
generated by paying even minimum wage for an intern is surely worth
something. Ditto the goodwill generated by taking the trouble to inform
unsuccessful applicants for jobs and give them feedback (price: a 2nd
class stamp plus about 5 minutes of your time), another thing which
doesn't happen nearly often enough.

Science communication is a small field and you keep coming across the
same people and organisations. The people you're treating badly today
are the people you will be working with in a few years. Does it really
serve your organisation in the long term if you get a bad reputation?

Oli

On 13/05/2011 16:29, Kat Arney wrote:

> To add my 2p, I also think it really depends on the quality of the
> work experience available.  I've heard horror stories about interns
> used as little more than free slave labour, but also good examples of
> interns being given meaty projects that give them a very useful
> experience.
>
> The charity I work for, Cancer Research UK, runs an award-winning
> internship scheme
> (http://supportus.cancerresearchuk.org/volunteer/internship-scheme/ ).
> Although these are voluntary, the charity pays travel and lunch
> expenses.  I've known of many of our interns who have subsequently
> ended up getting highly competitive jobs within the charity sector.
>
> Also, from the organisation's perspective, it can actually take up an
> awful lot of time and energy to train and manage interns  (assuming
> you're actually trying to give them a worthwhile experience that
> benefits them, and not just standing them in front of a photocopier)
> which costs the charity money.
>
> Anyway. I think it's important to keep having these discussions and
> raising awareness of the issues. I agree it would be a shame to slam
> the door on opportunities for people to gain valuable experience in a
> highly competitive field, but at the same time, nobody wants to see
> people being exploited.
>
> Kat Arney

Oli Usher
ESA/Hubble Public Information Officer

Education and Public Outreach Department
European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2,  D-85748 Garching bei München,  Germany

Telephone: +49 89 3200 6855
Mobile (Germany): +49 176 7648 2193
Mobile (UK): +44 7754 130 109

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.spacetelescope.org   .  www.eso.org

Social media:
www.facebook.com/hubbleESA    .  www.facebook.com/ESOAstronomy
www.twitter.com/hubble_space  .  www.twitter.com/ESO_Observatory

**The Universe at your fingertips**
Download the free Hubble top 100 images app for iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/hubble-top-100/id426922803