http://www.emanet.org/page.cfm?pageid=46

DH Website PEP guidance: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_088185

A case–control study conducted by the US Centers for

Disease Control and Prevention concluded that the

administration of zidovudine prophylaxis to health care

workers occupationally exposed to HIV was associated with

an 81% reduction in the risk for occupationally acquired

HIV infection (9).

zzFive cases of HIV seroconversion in UK health care

workers have been documented; four occurred in

or before 1993, only one of whom received PEP

(zidovudine monotherapy). The most recent case

was in 1999, when seroconversion occurred despite

combination PEP (18).

2.3 para 28:

Results from animal studies suggest that HIV PEP

is most likely to be efficacious if started within the hour.

45. PEP is most likely to be effective when initiated as soon as

possible (within hours, and certainly within 48–72 hours of

exposure), and continued for at least 28 days. It should be

noted that the evidence base on which these conclusions

are based is limited (see Annex H for a summary of the

19

HIV post-exposure prophylaxis

evidence). Therefore, PEP should be commenced as soon as

possible after exposure, allowing for careful risk assessment,

ideally within an hour. PEP is generally not recommended

beyond 72 hours post-exposure.

Tracy

Tracy Huguenel, RGN, SCPHN (OH)
Deputy Head of Occupational Health