I agree, if he has a full range of movement (seen by your own fair
eyes!) then I would generally advise him to inform you of any changes
to his range and continue on the 5 year frequency.

Just out of interest  - does anyone have a 'sandardised' range of
movements the ask the driver to perform? The range I carry out are
fairly simple, however I have noted that the DVLA guide does not cover
musculoskeletal issues and had an interesting conversation with a
colleague about carrying the range of movement checks out at all!

Personally, I think the case you described,Leigh shows a definite need
to check range of movement, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on
this?

Georgina

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM, janet oneill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Wouldn't a basic full range of movement check tell if he has limitations at
> present?
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM, leigh delmar <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Good morning List -
>>
>> FLT medicals are relatively new to me  - most that I have carried out have
>> been very straight forward and have had no previous medical conditions,
>> however......
>>
>> I have been contacted today to carry out a fork lift medical on a company
>> who have just recently begun using their own fork lift drivers. I have seen
>> the gentleman (in his early 50's) previously and I am aware he has known
>> back issues (specifically a previous herniated disk at L2-3 a number of
>> years ago) for general health surveillance. The FLT role is new to him
>> although he has worked for the company for 5 yrs. I am unsure if he
>> disclosed his disk problems whilst going through his forklift training - he
>> did advise me at a previous health surveillance check that it did not cause
>> him any current difficulties .
>>
>> I want to be prepared in case this has changed and his movement has
>> become limited - I wondered what you advice would be to this gent with
>> regards frequency / limitations? If he tells me it has still not changed and
>> movement is normal - should I take his word for it or refer to OHP?
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> Leigh
>> ******************************** Please remove this footer before
>> replying.