From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roisin Smyth
Sent: 12 May 2011 14:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Pre Employment medical - who informs the candidate fit/unfit

Hi List

I'd be really interested to hear how other OH services deal with this process:

The HR department in the company I have recently begun working for advises me that the OHA always informs the candidate of the outcome of the pre-employment at the end of the medical ie whether fit/unfit or if they need to be referred to the OHPhys for further assessment. The OHA then provides a  report to HR, who will then make the job offer or turn the candidate down. Normally they will have been offered the job at this stage, pending successful references and medical.

There are exclusion criteria in place for a number of positions which have been carefully researched and signed off by the OHPhys, EHS dept and Company directors/managers.

This is fine if there are no issues and the person is fit without restrictions, however if we have to fail someone based on exclusion criteria and tell them there and then at the end of the medical I feel this could be difficult territory for an OHA and I wondered how other OH Nurses deal with this?

I understand HR's point that, if they reject the candidate and are then contacted for feedback then HR is unable to provide them with information due to medical confidentiality.

A bit long-winded sorry but responses most gratefully received.

Roisin

********************************

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

Please visit our website www.greggs.co.uk

Greggs plc is a public limited company, registered in England and Wales, registered number 502851, registered office Fernwood House, Clayton Road, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1TL.
Confidentiality:  This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.
Security Warning: Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not a 100% secure communications medium.  We advise that you understand and accept this lack of security when emailing us.
Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Visit our website at: Http://www.greggs.co.uk

http://www.star.net.uk

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: