Hello all

This may not be a question high on the list of OH nurses in larger
industries/public sector, but as a self employed independant practitioner I am
seeking advice.

I have met with an IT person today with a view to sorting my technology
out...being a nurse I can understand most language using body language and
gestures however IT is complete swahili to me- hence the search for a boffin. My
boffin has asked me some questions.....

I am hoping that the list can advise in relation to IT systems and information
security. The data protection act says we have to protect the info...but does
not contain practical advice.

Does anyone know if there are any specific guidelines/policy/criteria in
relation to back up requirements for medical information/records/health
surveillance etc? given we need to keep it for a substantial length of time.

Whilst  I recall reading in the dark distant past that paper records are
supposed to be stored in fireproof cabinets with limited key access and
sprinklers as far as possible. What happens with electronic, computer stored
info?
For those who manage electronic information, Can I ask about back ups.....those
with paperless systems, how is your information backed up? is it physical on an
exernal hard drive or internet back up providers/servers? what guarantees do
companies such as tempus/cohort give?do you check for these when purchasing
their service or take it as read that they meet any guidance criteria?

If you use a hard drive/lap top/desk top system....do you have a theft and fire
contingency plan? If you have an internet back up do is there any requirements
of the back up provider, the HMRC and more recently a gaming provider spring to
mind in relation to losing/publishing information.

So many questions...but then I am a nurse who learned on a BBC basic with a 7
inch floppy disk or a ZX spectrum with a tape deck and a copy of manic miner and
jet set willie!

Jacqui

Jacqui

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: