Hi Roisin

Just wanted to clarify what I meant in case it wasn't clear:

As an OH I would never tell a prospective employee I found them "unfit"... I
would advise that I felt certain adjustments would be needed to support
employment in the roll, explain what those adjustments were that I would be
advising etc and why. I would then say that I would forward the same
information onto the prospective employer.

If there were no specific adjustments required I would advise them of that..
i.e. I will advise X that there is no specific adjustments required to
support employment in the role etc.

I have always been (and always been advised to be) very careful about not
using the words "unfit for post" to a candidate or for that matter in a
report as that is beyond our remit and not our decision.

The report wording tends to be:
Fit for proposed post: No adjustments required to support employment in
proposed role at this time
Fit for proposed post with support of adjustments as follows:

Carr

On 12 May 2011 17:15, Roisin Smyth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for your input,
>
> I think the whole exclusion criteria is about to be reviewed because of
> recent events where the desired candidate underwent an assessment and was
> not deemed suitable to work because of these exclusion criteria.
>
> The argument that health and safety has in relation to reasonable
> adjustments or accommodations is that, if someone with an underlying medical
> condition such as asthma works in an area where there is exposure to known
> sensitisers such as Nickel, their health condition has a high risk of being
> aggravated, and the nature of the job they are applying for is such that
> exposure to this substance cannot be avoided in the role, despite the fact
> that full PPE is provided.
>
> I must admit that I am feeling the lack of my OH qualification here. 6
> years experience but will not be doing the course until next year. The case
> has been referred to the OHPhysician.
>
> Carr, I will be discussing the use of fit and unfit with both the company
> and the OHPhysician. Thank you.
>
> Roisin

> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH