Current: An Experiment in Collecting Digital Art hosts a debate next week, exploring the collection process of digital art and the furture of the artform. Co-hosted by Beryl Graham and Sarah Cook of CRUMB.

We hope the event will be of interest to academics, curators, collectors, artists and sector professionals wishing to:
- help establish best practise for acquiring digital and new media art
- strengthen the perception of digital art within the wider visual arts sector
- discuss the roles that museums, galleries, collectors and educational institutions can play in this.

------------------

Current: An Experiment in Collecting Digital Art - the Debate.

The 'Current' Experiment involves an exhibition, acquisition and debate, acting as a practical case study for the collection of digital art into museums and galleries.

Having selected an artwork by Thomson & Craighead for acquisition, we will be hosting an event to discuss the issues and challenges that arise from the project on: 24th May 2011, at University of Central Lancashire, Preston.

Through the debate we aim to challenge the current climate of collecting new media, and the fact that very few museums are collecting and exhibiting artists that work with this art form.

The half day morning event will discuss the background, short-listing and acquisitions processes, and the realisation and installation of the exhibition - along with our findings from the experiment.
The optional afternoon session is aimed mainly at sector professionals; to debate the role of digital art with in the wider visual arts sector, and the roles both the museum and education sector can play in this.

This debate will be developed with experts from CRUMB (Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss – University of Sunderland); and chaired by Sarah Cook - Co-editor of Crumb and Research Fellow at the University.

Tickets are £10 with a limited number of free places for UCLan students.

Those interested in purchasing a ticket for this event should contact Project Co-ordinator Steph Fletcher in the first instance: [log in to unmask]

For more information, visit: http://www.current-experiment.org.uk/debate