Yes Foster's description/photograph (the image was taken at a mid-Welsh lead mine) was from around 1880s but it was his written descriptions of what went before formal capping that I thought might be useful
Cheers
Catherine
-----Original Message-----
From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Waterhouse
Sent: 13 May 2011 16:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 18th-century shaft capping

Dear Catherine,

Beehive capping is known from the Bristol coalfield - Serridge Engine shaft
has a brick beehive cap, though of C19, not C18 date.  I think I've seen it
in Northern England in stone rubble, but its unheard of in SW England.

The standard response in the C18 in Devon & Cornwall was in fact to put a
hedgebank ring or wall around the shaft to prevent farm animals from falling
in, while keeping the shaft open for use by future miners.  The C19 and
later 'boom and bust' mining tradition by specially formed companies was not
generally the case before c.1800, when mining was more of a local/casual
affair.  A lease might be taken on by a group of adventurers, or worked by
the landowner themselves, but in periods of inactivity the shafts etc tended
to remain open, though protected in the way described above.

Perhaps that's why there isn't much evidence, Phil.

I seem to recall mortared stone arching being used in the Bere peninsula
silver mines in the C17 - Peter Claughton will be able to quote details.

Robert Waterhouse