At 16:55 13/05/2011, Robert Waterhouse wrote:

>I seem to recall mortared stone arching being used in the Bere peninsula
>silver mines in the C17 - Peter Claughton will be able to quote details.

Phil,

The parish accounts for Bere Ferrers in the 17th century do record
the purchase of lime for securing abandoned workings but it was
probably used in making good the surface over some of the linear open
workings. There is certainly surviving, but undated, lime mortared
stone arching over the lode fissure where it is crossed by the road
down to Weirquay through Gullytown and where it descends from Whitsam
to the stream south of Lockridge Hill, although the latter may have
been put in place when that site was reworked in the mid-nineteenth
century. Without further archaeological investigation underground, it
is hard to put any date on the field evidence.

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton,
Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. +44 (0)1437 532578; Fax. +44 (0)1437 532921; Mobile +44 (0)7831 427599

Hon. University Fellow - College of Humanities, University of Exeter
http://people.exeter.ac.uk/pfclaugh/about.htm
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.people.exeter.ac.uk/pfclaugh/mhinf/