He might also want to take a look at Jacob Rader Marcus's T/he Jew in
the Medieval World: A Sourcebook 315-1791/.  I also imagine that for the
twelfth century in England, a number of French sources would also be
very useful.  Perhaps he could look at some of Bernard of Clairvaulx's
warnings not to attack the Jews in the Second Crusade?  Or the Jewish
sources within Edward Peters's sourcebook for the First Crusade (a
little early and continental, but might give context)?  Abelard's
/Colloquy between a Philosopher, a Jew, and a Christian/ might also be
of interest.

Hope this helps,

Samantha Katz

On 5/10/2011 8:07 AM, Frans van Liere wrote:

> Dear learned ones,
>
> One of my students is writing an undergraduate research dissertation on the Jews in twelfth-century England. He does not quite yet know what direction to go, but he is especially interested in the massacre of the Jews of medieval York.
>
> As usual with this kind of research, he does not read Latin, and it's hard to find primary sources in translation. I suggested to him Thomas of Monmouth Life of Saint William, and William of Newburgh's chronicle. Does any one of you have any other suggesttions Only English translations ! (although, he is Candian, and knows a bit of French...) And no moans about how no one reads Latin any more, for I can do, and often do, that kind of moaning myself ;-) Your suggestions are much appreciated !
>
> Frans van Liere
> History Department, Calvin College
> 1845 Knollcrest Circle SE
> Grand Rapids MI 49546