Open Day MA Horror and Transgression

Do please let your students know about our open day on 11th May at our Kedleston Road campus, room S310.

2-4pm MA Humanities, MA Horror and Transgression, and PhD opportunities.

            The University of Derby’s new MA Humanities – Horror and Transgression is an innovative postgraduate course in film, literature and cultural studies offering the opportunity to work both critically and creatively. Drawing on the expertise of internationally renowned practicing writers and critics, the themes of Horror and Transgression explores   what our limits consist of and the boundaries of culture and society. Through the analysis of culture we understand what defines us collectively and individually as humans and what is beyond the human. The course has the support of horror writer Clive Barker who is planning to be involved, saying ‘Thank you for Raising Hell in Derby!’

            This MA is international and transnational in scope, including work on cinema and literature in the East and world cinema. This would suit all of those interested in  diverse forms of film and literature, with the option of creative coursework. It also suits those interested in philosophical and literary theoretical developments from Nietzsche to Bataille, Foucault, Kristeva, and Deleuze and transgressive writers, such as Burroughs, Ballard and Burgess.

 The UK has always had a rich history of horror, and a time when a new generation of British horror practioners are making interesting and provocative work, The University of Derby's MA in Horror and Trangression looks to be an important step forward in further establishing the genre as a rich source of social, political and cultural significance.

Steve Shiel, director of critically acclaimed Brit-Horror feature Mum & Dad as well as one of the organisers of the Mayhem Horror Film Festival

For further details on this programme please contact Teresa Forde,  Programme Leader for MA Humanities - Horror and Transgression, [log in to unmask]