Our own additions to this matrix are MFD's which sit in a staff network
which is logically/virtually (and soon to be physically) segregated from
the public network, so public PC's can't (currently) access what are
essentially staff printers. To do so would, in principle, breach CoCo
requirements unless a lot of complex network security is put in place.

And as these are large, high volume devices (our MFD supplier don't do
small - is anyone being offered small, desktop MFD's?), the final goal
is to permit only one large expensive A4/A3 (and possibly colour) MFD
per average branch library which sits in the open library to act as both
a copier, printer and scanner for staff and public (with secure print
release, of course, to ensure that the public don't get hold of staff
documents).

I wonder what the queue at such a device is? Would anyone with this
setup like to say?

If such an MFD goes down - 2 day response time for all printing from
that building. No resilience...

Oh yes - is anyone using these to allow users to scan to/from a public
PC session? if so - how? practical or not?

So yes - it gets more complicated (and expensive to set up?), with
different output routes and different payment methods to different types
of devices in different networks to 'square the circle' of reducing the
number of printers and the upfront cost per print. But the hidden costs?

Regards

JU