Thank you to colleagues who have responded to my request for information on availability of touch screens as part of public PC provision. Your comments have been helpful.
As promised below are the responses I received.

Thanks again
Chris
Bradford Libraries

Based on admittedly limited experience, the problem is not the touch screen, but the applications they may access. If they are not specifically designed for touch use, they can be hell to use!

Having recently installed RFID kiosks (touch screens), once you turn off the user interface to access the system admin, you are into pure Windows. The supplier engineers (being experienced) whizz through that - I open the front of the cabinet and plug in a USB keyboard and mouse...

So is your target customer accessing special apps in the school via the touch screen?

I assume the school is using Windows 7 which from what I have seen, does have some superb Touch Screen facilities.  We don't have that facility here at the moment, but it is one which I have flagged up for the next time we refresh our Public Computers.  We have 135 Public Computers using XP in 10 Libraries, but each Branch has one PC with a 22" Screen, large keyboard, Supernova and Guide software, trackballs plus other aids that can be used if required.

For touchscreen technology, Windows 7 is good, but has a huge way to go before it can rival an iPad in my opinion.  Within 5 years, a separate keyboard/mouse will be a thing of the past

We do provide Supernova on at least one PC in each branch, as well as making sure the standard Windows accessibility tools are enabled.  To be frank though, Supernova is such a complicated programme to use and gets asked for so rarely we have real difficulties in keeping staff trained to use it and able to support customers when they do use it that I am wondering if that is actually the right approach.

We have also recently purchased a number of standard accessibility kits from Keytools that includes a BigKeys large keyboard, lightweight laptop-style mini keyboard, a large trackball mouse and High Visibility Stickers.  I will be conducting an audit to try and establish which elements are most used and we therefore need to provide more widely around libraries.  However early indications are showing that the large trackball mouse are particularly useful for our Surf's Up internet and PC taster sessions for older customers and we have already ordered more.

 We are also conducting some customer focus groups over the summer, to ask for views on our current IT provision and we will have a group specifically looking at assistive technology, others focusing on our general public PC build and configuration and yet more on the accessibility and usability of our online offerings, so I am, hoping for further insights from that exercise.

We have also recently had a request about touch screens, in relation to dyslexia in this case, so I would be very interested in your summary of responses.

 We only have 7 branches and provide height adjustable chairs and one dedicated Special Needs height adjustable desk per branch. Each library also has a touch screen computer, monster key board, large tracker ball mouse, JAWS software, and 2 of our branches have screen magnifiers.