Have you asked them on what grounds either (a) having
content, or (b) having ways to measure success, should be
criteria for doing this, given that the costs are minimal
and the benefits widely accepted pretty much everywhere
else? Has it occurred to them that having
expensively-produced content that no-one reads is rather
less valuable than engaging with residents, on platforms
that are widely used, to co-produce content at a fraction of
the cost? Where have they been?

It's puzzling that this priesthood should have any say over
what you do. If I was a council tax payer in your area, I'd
be inclined to ask why your authority still has people
called a 'web team'. What do they do?

Regards

kevin

Kevin Harris