* With apologies for cross-posting *

Dear Colleagues,

Cpd25 is delighted to inform you that the above event is taking place on the afternoon of Thursday, 2nd June and that it is now ready for booking.

This event is for anyone involved in the practical, day-to-day management of libraries and will look at the ways in which we can influence and control student behaviour, which can sometimes be quite a challenge.

Claire Powrie, Head of Student Services at London Metropolitan University, will set the scene by looking at the topic from the viewpoint of today's students: what are they really like and what do they expect from us? She will be followed by speakers from a cross-section of academic libraries who will describe their differing strategies for managing behaviour. These range from adopting a 'hands off' approach, using an external Security company and fining students for breaking the rules!

The event will allow ample time for discussion and delegates should come prepared to talk about their own experience and concerns. We can't promise any definitive answers but there will certainly be some lively discussion

1.30-2.00: Arrival & registration with tea/coffee

2.00-2.30: Students today: who are they? - Claire Powrie, Head of Student Services, London Metropolitan University

2.30-3.00: Managing the learning environment at Kingston - Karen Belsham, Senior Information, Kingston University

3.00-3.30: Case studies from South Bank University, University College London and University of East London.

3.30-3.45: Tea & coffee

3.45-4.45: Smaller group discussions and general summing up.

Venue: The Hardy Room at the London Mathematical Society, 57-58 Russell Square, London WC1B 4HS; Website: www.lms.ac.uk

Please note that there are limited places available for this event.

To book a place please use our online booking form or email the administrator via [log in to unmask]

Cost: £50 for cpd25 members and £65 for other institutions.

Cancellations less than one week before the event will be charged a 50% cancellation fee. In the event of a 'no-show' on the day, the full fee will be charged.

With best wishes,
Claire.

Claire Hackshall
cpd25 Administrator