Dear All

Have any of you been offered e-documents downloaded onto a cd-rom.  The
work is the donor's own work but it contains photographs which are not
credited.

We are a history library so would in certain circumstances take
non-published research in hard copy. It could well be that there are
non-credited images in these hard copy works.  The above work is simply
and e-equivalent of this type of work,

It raises issues for us because of the following:

It is downloaded onto a cdr which could potentially contain a virus (the
simple solution would be virus check it but would this be sufficient for
you and meet the requirements of your it department)

To read it readers would have to put it in their own laptops and could
simply download it. This could have repercussions again if it was not a
cdr. However the onus of adhering to copyright is down to the reader.
Would we require the reader to sign a specific copyright form before
handing over such an cdr.

If we took such a cdr into our collections would we require that the
author complete a form stating they have taken copyright responsibility
  for the work and would this cover the fact they had not credited the
images correctly.

I feel due to the type of library we are we will be offered more
personal research in this format.

Our preference to the issues raised above and also for preservation
issues is to ask for a hard copy verson.