Here’s one I prepared earlier for a student going to the BNCF. Brief, but it should do. Make sure you get the biggest stamp you can find. If they do a wax seal at Edinburgh tanto meglio

Phil

Egregia direttrice,

Con la presente confermo che XXXXXXXX è una dottoranda presso il dipartimento d’italianistica di questa università. Per le sue ricerche avrebbe bisogno di consultare giornali, libri e riviste italiani dei primi anni del novecento. La prego di volere fornirle, nei limiti del possibile, l’assistenza di cui avrebbe bisogno nel corso delle sue ricerche presso la XXXX

From: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Blanche
Sent: 16 May 2011 11:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [I-S] working in Italian archives

I completely agree with Deanna Shemek on the benefits of an online guide for users of Italian archives.

On this subject, can anyone offer advice to the list on the best wording of a formal letter of introduction in Italian for postgraduate students visiting archives for the first time?

Best wishes,

Sarah Cockram

Dr Sarah D P Cockram
School of History, Classics and Archaeology
University of Edinburgh
Room 1.22, Doorway 4
Teviot Place
EH8 9AG, UK