Dear Michelle,
Here is a book on working with manuscripts, although it's about Medieval
manuscripts, not, unfortunately, Renaissance ones. I don't know if a similar
book exists for Renaissance manuscripts: Introduction to Manuscript Studies
(Paperback) by Raymond
Clemens<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Raymond%20Clemens>(Author),
Timothy
Graham<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_2?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Timothy%20Graham>
.
I hope this is useful.
Sincerely,
Jim Ward
P.S. You might also try contacting Patricia Fortini Brown, an expert with
many years of experience working in Venetian archives.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Alex Bamji <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies
>
> Hi Michelle,
>

> In my experience, different Italian archives can have their idiosyncrasies.
> I’d be happy to give you some suggestions about the Venetian archives if you
> drop me an email (your email address isn’t listed). For Venice, you might
> find the following website and mailing list useful and interesting – the
> latter is a good place to ask queries before and while you’re working there,
> and all messages are archived so you can search for past tips on using the
> ASV/Correr:
>

> Website: http://www.newsontherialto.com/index.php

> Best wishes,
>

> Alex Bamji

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME