From:
Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Seddon, Melissa
Sent: 16 May 2011 10:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Visitor/public access to HER

Hi Alex,

We do have a dedicated visitor space, but it is very small - we can accommodate two visitors at a time at the very most. It does not have a terminal. We moved to our present location in 2008, and the building we are in is not open to the public so anyone wishing to visit has to make an appointment. We were previously based in Hereford Town Hall which is open to the public, so we were able to have two 'open' mornings per week when visitors could drop in without an appointment, although not many people made use of this arrangement. We also had much more space for visitors than we do now.

Our database is available online via our own website and the Heritage Gateway. This has definitely led to a drop in visitors to the office, although it has led to an overall increase in users - we get a fair number of online enquiries from overseas. We had 43 visitors in 2009 and 51 in 2010, so nearly one a week, like some of the other replies. These were mostly contractors, A-Level students from the Sixth Form College and other members of the public. Most of them had used our online database first (or had a search done by us, in the case of contractors) and wanted to see grey literature reports, aerial photographs and our secondary files - we haven't digitised these yet and have no immediate plans to do so.

Kind regards,

Melissa

Melissa A Seddon
SMR Officer
Herefordshire Archaeology
Environment, Planning and Waste
Herefordshire Council
PO Box 230
Blueschool House
Blueschool Street
HEREFORD
HR1 2ZB

Tel: 01432 260130
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.herefordshire.gov.uk/htt

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Herefordshire Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.