Dear All,

Please circulate the following position amongst potentially interested colleagues and students.

http://www.orfeus-eu.org/Announcements/2011_04_seismologist-ORFEUS-2011.pdf

ORFEUS, the European organization for coordinating and promoting broadband seismology
in Europe, is looking for a Seismologist / Software developer

He/she will be working within the ORFEUS data management team at the KNMI in The Netherlands and will be involved within recently started EC-infrastructure projects like NERA, VERCE and EPOS. The position is temporary for the duration of four years.

Your task will be data management and quality control (QC) within ORFEUS Data Center
(ODC). This involves:
- Managing and organizing the waveform data archives and back-ups. Implementing and improving international distributed data archive facilities will be part of this work.
- Managing and developing QC procedures, providing QC related services to data providers and users, coordinating QC standards within the international seismological community.
- Synchronizing software developments, improving data management and data availability with the web application tools being developed within the team and cooperating data centers.
- Interaction with data suppliers (seismological networks) and data users (academic institutes) aimed at continuously improving our services.

Qualifications:
We expect you to have at least an academic master's degree either in seismology or related subject and good programming skills or, alternatively, a master's degree in software development or similar competence and affinity with earthquake seismology. We expect you to take initiative, be service minded, result oriented and a team worker. Experience with realtime seismic network data acquisition and processing software (e.g Antelope (r), SeisComP) is an advantage. You should have good knowledge of Linux/Unix, C, Perl, Python, (My)SQL. Knowledge of an object oriented language like Java or C++ is an advantage. As you will be working within a
multinational, diverse team, we require excellent communication and cooperation skills together with a good knowledge of the English language.

(see pdf link for further details).