I totally agree with Malcolm; I like this list exactly because people is not
scared to write about geology and flying spaghetti monster (by the way,
being italian, thank you for the spaghetti....); and is very very easy to
delete an email message if you don't like it, the real problem will come
when we will have only discussions about "established certainties" -
which is by definition the dead of science

best regards

Alessandro

On 4 May 2011 at 16:06, Malcolm McClure wrote:

> Dear All:
> Whilst I agree that this is not the place to discuss controversial
> possibilities in depth, I deplore Dr Rippington's disparaging subject
> line above. Science is surely about reaching beyond established
> categories of knowledge. Thinking 'outside the box' is surely to be
> encouraged, and questions coming from the sidelines can sometimes
> cause us to reconsiderthe so-called 'established certainties'. The
> Expanding Earth is as much a philosophical challenge as a scientific
> question, because scientific evidence can so easily be adapted to fit
> anticipated reality. There have been many occasions in the past when
> earth science has moved forward reluctantly in the face of new
> interpretations of the data, as those of us who remember the early
> days of plate tectonics have good cause to remember.
>
> We should consider well-intended suggestions with due humility,
> rejecting those that are unfounded with charitable comment and storing
> away better ideas for future use, if and when appropriate.
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm
> On 4 May 2011, at 08:17, Stephen Rippington wrote:
> Hopefully, most of the people who subscribe to Geo-tectonics are like
> me, and will have deleted this email based on the obviously silly
> subject before bothering to read it. For the rest of you….
>
> Dear Geo-tectonics list,
>
> I love to have a laugh as much as the next guy, but Geo-tectonics
> appears to have taken a turn for the hippy and surreal in recent days.
> I think it’s great that everyone’s getting involved in these
> discussions, but I’m not sure a mailing list is the correct forum for
> debate.
>
> For those who havedatathere is a perfectly decent peer-review system
> in place, where you can write up your ideas and get the undivided
> attention of at least two reviewers! Please by all means ask questions
> of the geologists on the list, but maybe those who feel they would
> like to reply could use some judgment as to whether the rest of the
> mailing list needs to see their reply.
>
> Is there not a group on a social networking website that the free
> thinkers out there could post their ideas on, and everyone else could
> send their replies to?
>
> I think the recent explosion of wackiness and the plethora of replies
> that I seem to get warrants everyone taking a moment to think about
> how they use this list. That way we can all keep enjoying the
> extremely valuable and useful aspects of Geo-Tectonics without it
> becoming a massive pain in the inbox.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

> Dr Stephen Rippington
>
> Geologist
> Arctic Research and Database Project
> CASP, University of Cambridge
> 181a Huntingdon Road
> Cambridge CB3 0DH
> Email:[log in to unmask]

Alessandro Maria Michetti
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche e Ambientali
Università dell'Insubria
Via Valleggio, 11, 22100 Como
tel: ++39.031 326231
fax: ++39.031 326230