Apologies for posting to the whole list.

See below for a great opportunity for GEM London members to join London’s AMA support group for an interesting session on Learning and Communities. This will also be an opportunity to meet me and discuss the future of GEM London.

Spaces are limited so please rsvp to the AMA support group organisers on [log in to unmask]

Hannah

I hope you all had an excellent Easter and enjoyed the many bank holidays. We’re pleased to say that our next AMA Support Group meeting will be on Tuesday 24th May from 3-5.30pm. It will be held at the Cuming museum in Southwark, http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200162/the_cuming_museum, courtesy of Hannah Guthrie the Education Officer there.

The overall theme of the session is Learning and Communities and we’re going to hear from two speakers: Hannah Guthrie will talk to us about the work the Cuming Museum has done in creating learning sessions for under 5s visiting the museum, and how this project is coping after the funding has finished. Then we’ll hear from Michelle Douek, Community Programmes Manager at Dulwich Picture Gallery, about the many adult learning projects the gallery runs both onsite and as outreach sessions, in particular, a project called ‘Good Times’ http://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/education/community_outreach/good_times.aspx.

After the usual drinks and biscuits we’re going to try something a little bit different and run a more practical session on ‘What makes a good trail’, possibly even trying to make some ourselves. For this part of the session please bring along any trails your museum/gallery has and lots of enthusiasm!

At 5pm there will be a chance to hear from Jen Kavanagh, Community Curator at the London Transport Museum about her experiences carrying out museum community work in New Zealand via the Trevor Walden Bursary as part of her AMA. This is a great chance for anyone thinking about applying for the Trevor Walden Bursary to see what a great opportunity it can be and ask any practical questions of someone who has been through the process.

As always, please do let us know if you can come so we can provide enough biscuits! We’re also opening this session up to members of London GEM (Group for Education in Museums) so we can share our perspectives and hopefully get some good discussions going.

If anyone can’t make the whole session but would still like to hear about the Trevor Walden bursary you are welcome to come at 5pm just for that, but please do let us know in advance. Hope to see as many of you there as possible. As usual we will be retiring to a pub afterwards, probably the Hampton Court nearby http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/31/31513/Hampton/Walworth

Best,

Emma and Freya

Hannah Guthrie

Education Officer

The Cuming Museum

151 Walworth Road

London

SE17 1RY

020 7525 2096

www.southwark.gov.uk/cumingmuseum

http://www.southwarkcollections.org.uk/code/emuseum.asp

To help create a sustainable environment please think carefully before you print this e-mail. Do not print it unless it is really necessary. ****************************************************************************************************

Southwark Council does not accept liability for loss or damage resulting from software viruses.

The views expressed in this e-mail may be personal to the sender and should not be taken as necessarily representing those of Southwark Council.

The information in this e-mail and any attached files is confidential and may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege or be subject to privacy legislation. It is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, the retaining, distribution or other use of any transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

E-mails are transmitted over a public network and Southwark Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy of a message that may have sustained changes in transmission

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.