As both of them should increase the SNR, in yet different levels .

Regards,
Arash

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Stamatios Sotiropoulos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,

if you average the 3 repetitions, you will increase the SNR by a factor of square_root(3). This will increase the resolving power of the dataset. I would take a look at the last two figures of the following paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17070705 , they will give you an idea of how resolving crossing fibres is benefitted from increased SNR and increased number of directions.

Cheers,
Stam

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Arash Nazeri
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:22 PM
Subject: [FSL] Minimum directions required for FDT-PROBTRACKX

Dear FSL experts,

I've read in FSL's FDT FAQ that the least recommended directions necessary for tractography is 25. Here I have a DTI dataset with 23 directions and 3 repetitions of the same sequence and directions.I'm planing to run BEDPOSTX with default options (i.e. bedpostx -n 2). I was wondering if having these 2 extra repetitions of the same 23-direction DTI would make things look any better in PROBTRACKX.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arash