Right, so back to the original question :) (i'm sorry my terminology must be poor).

If I decide I want everything to be in structural space, can I transform my standard space masks by using the standard2diff and the BETed anatomical as the ref?

i.e.

flirt -in mask -out mask2str -ref anat_BET -applyxfm -init standard2str.mat

... i guess I don't understand what images are chosen for the reference (-ref). Is it any image from that space in order to have a volume association?

thanks and sooooo sorry