Yes, the order is important and your wish is granted - this is being listed when you type the command name without anything:

> Usage: slicer <input> [input2] [main options] [output options - any number of these]
>
> Main options: [-L] [-l <lut>] [-s <scale>] [-i <intensitymin> <intensitymax>] [-e <thr>] [-t] [-n] [-u]

The 'Main options' line is pseudo-EBNF: options need to be listed in this order. And yes again - it's because no one is interested in writing command-line parsers... ;)

hth
Christian