From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stamatios Sotiropoulos
Sent: 18 May 2011 10:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] How to calculate b-matrix

Hi Suchada,

the b-value is obtained by integrating the applied gradients. Depending on features of these gradients (e.g. their shape), the integral might be analytic or not. In the latter case, you need to integrate numerically, which is the case presented in the paper you mentioned.

In general if you already know the b-value, you can obtain the b-matrix via    bmatrix = bvalue*gradient*gradient',  gradient being a column vector. This is a simplification, as you may ignore cross-terms from imaging gradients, but is what we use in FSL.

Hope this helps,

Stam