Dear Mark,

Thanks very much for the detailed comments!

Here is what I got by running flirt with the schedule file:

>> flirt -in inputfile -ref $FSLDIR/data/standard/MNI152_T1_2mm_brain.nii.gz -init xmat_T1_to_MNI152_2mm -out test1 -schedule $FSLDIR/etc/flirtsch/measurecost1.sch

0.0669054 0.000000 -0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

Final result:
0.971940 -0.035396 0.008270 -1.957650
0.033794 0.891260 0.081227 -0.548800
-0.004905 -0.131739 0.998848 5.771490
0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

I guess the first number in the first output row is the cost value,
please kindly confirm.

Best,
Leo