  From: Haukur Már Helgason
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:59 PM
  Subject: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] Godard thesis: The image interrogates the word

  Hi everyone,

  I just wanted to let know about my MA-thesis, which I recently concluded at the University of Iceland. It centers on Godard's oeuvre, from his first short films up until Weekend (1967). It is in Icelandic, but an English excerpt can be found here: http://skemman.is/is/item/view/1946/8362. The title would translate as 'The Image interrogates the Word: Godard and Film as philosophical research equipment'. It is, among other things, perhaps first and foremost an attempt to establish a non-historical concept of modernism, modernism as something akin to virtue, the virtue of aggressive thought. That part of the approach is founded on Alain Badiou's concepts of Truth and Subject.

  I keep my eyes open for PhD programs where I could continue the research. I am currently my first feature-length documentary film, and haven't found a faculty yet which would support rather than hinder my practical endeavours alongside theory – any tips would certainly be appreciated.

  All the best,

  Haukur Már Helgason,
  Reykjavík.
  -- Film-Philosophy After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the list -- Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/ Film-Philosophy Conference (6-8 July 2011): http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/ Contact: [log in to unmask] --