doesn't the claim that "there is no meaning to life" always presuppose a belief in meaning? . . . if "meaning" is itself a meaningless term then there's  really nothing to bitch about or lament cause nothing's been lost, right??

-----Original Message-----
From: Film-Philosophy [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Keith Bergen-Aurand (Asst Prof)
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 5:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] Nihilism

Mike,

I'm not one to hold to intentionality either, although quoting someone talking against intentionality always makes me smile. Why believe Lawrence's claim?

Anyway, I'm still not seeing Antonioni as an any sort of nihilist due to the very fact that he believes there IS meaning to life but that modernity just doesn't get it any more.  Unless you claim that anyone who thinks we've screwed up the world or are missing the point is a nihilist, I don't see it.  By all the definitions I know from philosophy, Antonioni is the opposite of a nihilist.  Antonioni's films are engagements with lost meaning or delusions in regard to meaning.  That meaning is still there; we've just missed it in the modern world.  That's not nihilism by any definition.  OR, that means just about ALL filmmakers are nihilists if their films critique their contemporary situations.  Seems just too vague a way of thinking about nihilism.

BKB-A

Brian Bergen-Aurand

Assistant Professor English and Film

HSS-03-60

School of Humanities and Social Sciences

Nanyang Technological University

14 Nanyang Drive

Singapore 637332

Tel - (65) 6790 5381