From: Rakesh Biswas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: insolvable uncertainty and shared decision making
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks Ben and Ash for this timely article on 'indication creep' in JAMA which was definitely an excellent extension of the discussion that we enjoyed in the past few months and thanks Mayer for pointing it out.

On Ash's point about patient driven health care it must be recognized that  health care practically can never be just patient-driven as long as there are health professionals and other stakeholders representing other equally ( if not more) vital  forces that drive health care.

As Maurice Bernstein from 'Bioethics International' puts it ( although i can't be sure if this was exaclty what he meant..copying it to him as well for clarification), possibly patient autonomy and 'health professional paternalism' are two sides of the same coin?

What health care possibly requires is transparency in 'information flow' that can create a democratic ecosystem (which Ben seems currently resigned to accept as the only workable solution)?

This may improve health outcomes in direct proportion to the heightened shared learning between all these stakeholders?

:-)

warm regards,

rakesh