The TARGET study had nearly 20,000 although it was conducted in two sub-studies each of which had slightly fewer than 10,000. (I was a member of the data safety monitoring board.)
See

Farkouh, M. E., et al. (2004), "Comparison of Lumiracoxib with Naproxen and Ibuprofen in the Therapeutic Arthritis Research and Gastrointestinal Event Trial (Target), Cardiovascular Outcomes: Randomised Controlled Trial," Lancet, 364, 675-684.

Schnitzer, T. J., et al. (2004), "Comparison of Lumiracoxib with Naproxen and Ibuprofen in the Therapeutic Arthritis Research and Gastrointestinal Event Trial (Target), Reduction in Ulcer Complications: Randomised Controlled Trial," Lancet, 364, 665-674.

and also
Senn, S. (2008), "Lessons from Tgn1412 and Target: Implications for Observational Studies and Meta-Analysis," Pharm Stat.

It makes a very interesting teaching example - the CONSORT diagram in the Lancet is wrong and there is considerable imbalance between the substudies, which helps make valuable points about randomisation.

Stephen Senn
Professor of Statistics
School of Mathematics and Statistics

Direct line: +44 (0)141 330 5141