-----"Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Ash Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 05/06/2011 03:37
Subject: Re: What proportion of our current treatments are 'evidence-based'?

Dear Penny,
The recent Propublica investigative journalism article on the US Heart Rhythm Society completely supports your assertions.

The CardioBrief Blog summarised the Propublica article on its website:

Heart Society’s Tip Sheets Fail To Mention Risks
by Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber ProPublica, May 5, 2011, 9:48 p.m.
For patients researching solutions for scary, often debilitating irregular heartbeats, the information sheets on the Heart Rhythm Society website offer reassuring remedies.

Implantable cardioverter defibrillators—devices that automatically deliver shocks to restore normal heart rhythms—are “99% effective,” one sheet says [1]. The sheet doesn’t mention that the devices may also deliver unnecessary and painful jolts [2], which can damage a patient’s quality of life.

Nor does the sheet say that sicker and older patients were underrepresented in clinical trials of the devices, even though they are more likely to have heart rhythm problems, according to cardiologists who reviewed the information sheet for ProPublica.

“Even advertisements on TV run through the side effects real quick at the end of the ad,” said Dr. David Mann, an electrophysiologist in Louisville, Ky.

Another society tip sheet says [3] that cardiac ablation, in which catheters are used to destroy abnormal heart tissue, is “an effective treatment for many types of arrhythmias [4]. It is successful in 90 to 98 percent of cases, eliminating the need for open-heart surgery or long-term drug therapy.”

But it too lists no limitations or risks [5]—though they include blood clots, damage to the heart’s electrical system and even puncture of the heart.

Among the society’s biggest funders are makers of defibrillators and catheters used during cardiac ablation. Nearly half of the $16 million in annual revenues last year came from the device and drug industries, according to records on its website [6].

While there is no evidence of a quid pro quo, those who study conflicts of interest in medicine say industry money may subtly affect what groups say—or don’t—about the products made by their financial supporters.

In a statement to ProPublica [7], society President Douglas Packer and President-elect Bruce Wilkoff said industry support does not influence educational offerings or the group’s positions on appropriate treatments.

“The risks and limitations of treatments are best conducted between a patient and his/her physician,” they said. A disclaimer on the group’s website also advises patients to consult a doctor.
In an interview Thursday at the society’s annual meeting, Wilkoff defended the tip sheets. “Putting out a list (of side effects) doesn’t really inform,” he said. “It just produces anxiety.”

By the way, I just love your logo line at the bottom of your email viz The plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

Regards,
Ash
Dr Ash Paul
Medical Director