This is where EBM can make a difference on every level . I can affirm that although the article cited the RNIB this organization is  one in many, they are by no means an anomaly. Directors of various charities may not have the knowledge base to question the information which they are required to disseminate. When they do become informed and speak up they are fired and replaced. Funding is given for research, scholarships etc by pharmaceutical companies and special interest groups. I know of several instances where private research funding was pulled when the organization did not come up with sponsor friendly findings.

Medical  device companies can be in a class all their own for instance:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/10/14/medtronic-settlement

http://worldofdtcmarketing.com/are-fines-just-an-expense-of-doing-business-for-rx-drugs/business-of-the-drug-industry

The amount they spend on retainers is staggering, it does appear they see it as easier to get forgiveness than permission...this too drives up final health care costs. I know several of these companies have former FDA executives  on their staff.

Insurance MD assessors  in Canada and the USA are protected from accountability even though their assessments can prevent vulnerable people from receiving appropriate care.  It seems that EBM could set the stage for much needed accountability so that not only is evidence based treatment applied but also evidence based diagnosis and accountability.

Amy

Amy Price

Http://empower2go.org

Building Brain Potential