I am betting on EBM too because it is foundational to good healthcare, provides standardization and a clear trail. It is much fairer than other concepts I have encountered. I consider myself fortunate to have found this field and especially this group. It seems to me that as  working by evidence becomes the way of health care other things that are sliding like needless expense will be more clearly identified ( for instance since when is a $4.00 elastic bandage worth $360.00 in a USA emergency room and a shot of Toradol  worth the same?)

I agree with Ben and I am particularly interested in the decision making aspects and relative biases. Neil Maskery and colleagues have some excellent papers on this area. I believe there is a lot that can be done and this group has some of the greatest minds in healthcare working on this.

An area I really appreciated and respected concerning   the paper Ben and Ash collaborated on was that they showed working from 2 continents and a public as well as a private healthcare system that the areas of concern transcend differences .

Amy

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Djulbegovic, Benjamin
Sent: 22 May 2011 10:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: insolvable uncertainty and shared decision making

I think that many people are betting on EBM ( or, at least hoping that EBM will come to the rescue- hence, importance of the debate such as this): yes, the resources are finite, but if 30% of all what we do is waste, then perhaps by focusing on eliminating these wasteful and inappropriately administered health care interventions, the situation can possibly be improved? A recent article in NEJM estimates that by improving quality (I.e. reducing waste by 20%), in the US alone we could save $640 billions that then can be used for other societal needs. For long time, I thought that the "waste premise" is a reasonable one. However, for the reasons explained in our JAMA piece, I doubt this premise can guide our policies (which is not to say that we should not eliminate waste when we spot it). Ultimately, the question falls back on the importance of understanding of implications of human judgements (decisions made under uncertainty) for health policies.

ben