I quite agree with Michael that pile dynamic testing tools have to be used by quite experienced practitioners. Like, we should be careful not to look at them like a black box to attach gages and expect getting the ideal results right away! Proper operations of the test and professional interpretations are essential !

--- On Thu, 5/5/11, Michael Bleakney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Michael Bleakney <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Pile Driving Stop Criteria
To: "'Kazem Fakharian'" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2011, 10:56 AM

I agree with this set of recommendations, but they may require some technology or skills that are not widely available.  You also need to be careful that tools such as WEAP and PDA are used by suitably qualified practitioners.  Like egophysics, it is a relatively easy thing to buy the gear and offer the service, it is quite another to use it to provide meaningful results.

There is also a guideline for matching the hammer's ram weight to the weight of the steel pile by some ratio, for best efficiency of driving and lower risk of pile damage, but I just cannot put my hands on the recommend ratio at the moment, or recall where I saw it (many years ago).  It may have been in an old bridge design code.