<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>

Hello again,

On 21 April I sent out the message below, and then received a variety of responses...I've compiled them here for your reference.

In the end I decided to use Camtasia http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/ which is working very well for recording Skype audio/video -- so well, indeed, I'm using it for a virtual/on-line class I am also creating.

I also ordered the
Olympus TP7 Telephone Pickup but have not used it yet. It gets great reviews, though.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my original query.

Best,

Kris

Hello – I am trying to identify some good options for high quality recordings of research subjects I am interviewing via (a) Skype or iChat, and (b) via a regular telephone call.

I ran across a recent conversation about this issue on Twitter – see below for the original question (from a journalist) and the responses he received.

Does anyone on this list have any additional recommendations, especially for recording calls on (a) Skype or iChat, and/or (b) regular telephone calls?

Best, Kris

Question: I need to record the audio of a Skype call today on my Mac -- anyone recommend a good piece of software for that?

For recording Skype audio, I would highly recommend Audio Hijack Pro: http://t.co/laodYFS

I like WireTap Studio - http://bit.ly/dr4Xi8

For recording Skype chats (audio or video), I've had good success with Call Recorder for Skype http://t.co/Xvk57tt

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

If you want something simple, use garage band, set it to voice and then hit record.

soundflowerbed + audacity

For recording Skype audio, I would highly recommend Audio Hijack Pro: http://t.co/laodYFS from @rogueamoeba

Hi! You can try the Supertintin Skype recorder (supertintin.com) to save video/audio calls. very easy to use & HQ recordings.

Thanks everyone for the Skype-recording suggestions... I went with Call Recorder for Skype, which seemed to do the trick.

I've had a lot of success with CallGraph Skype Recorder, which is freeware available from:

http://scribie.com/free-skype-recorder

I tend to use it for both skype and telephone interviews and just call from my skype account, which tends to be cheaper for international calls, anyway.

For regular telephone interviews, I just use the Olympus TP7 Telephone PIckup:  http://amzn.to/bq3StW
It is a simply microphone that fits in your ear, and plugs into any recording devise.  It is batteryless, simply, easy to use, and good quality.

If you have a Mac, you could try:
Amadeus II (http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html)
and if you have a PC you could try:
Total recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/)
Both are low footprint programs that record whatever is going through your soundcard (if they still call it that any more).

I've not used it for Skype of iChat, but Audio Hijack is very good. It captures the audio from any application you have running and only the app your pick. It also has a mute function so you can be recording output from, for example, itunes while listening to iplayer through your speakers without any conflict. It records audio in .aiff which works with Express Script, a nifty transcription tool/management program.

As for standard phone calls, if you can get an adaptor for your phone which will plug into your mic socket on your mac you can use Audio Hijack in combination with any program that will stream the audio from the mic input.