From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Percival
Sent: 13 May 2011 16:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Information Security and Information Assets/Processes

Dear All

I have recently been asked to carry out an exercise which I am not entirely happy about.  This is to identify our "information assets" and quantify the risk to those assets (among other things).  This means identifying blocks information and then identifying what possible threats there might be to those assets (and then giving them a rating).

By trying to do this, I have ended up conflating two things which I do not think should be bundled together: risks to ICT systems (which store the "assets") and the "human risks" of handling the information.

There are two issues here:

1 The audits on our IT systems should be adequate to ensure the security of the data on these systems and I am not sure why we have to go over all of this again in relation to each block of information that we hold.

2 So far as our processes are concerned, my chosen way of going about things would be to set out the processes and then identify the weak spots (e.g. when we copy the data to other areas, share it with third parties etc) for each stage in the process - the risks to information at one stage in a process are often quite different from those at another stage, as are the controls in place.

I will probably just have to go with the current exercise as it has become quite urgent but I am concerned that, if we don't approach this in a more structured and process-oriented way, the risks we "identify" will just be things we have thought of and the actual risks will remain off the radar.

I am looking for some expert opinions and advice to back up a more process-oriented approach and wondered whether anyone was aware of (or had written!) anything that might be useful?  Of particular interest would be something that showed such an approach saves time in the long run or copies of any actual risk-assessments using such an approach would be much appreciated.

Of course, if you can see problems with my approach, don't hesitate to say as well!  The approach I have been asked to use is the standard Cabinet Office/SIRO one and I am guessing that there must be a reason for this (although I have read the Security Policy Framework and didn't find it very enlightening).

Best regards

Lisa Percival