From: Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
To: CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, 2 May 2011 5:28
Subject: The contemporary archaeology of the Royal Wedding

 Thereason I raised this question (apart from a bit of stirring the
possum) is thatthere were a few archaeological studies of the death of
Diana in particular thememorials as an expression of public
grief. Surelythis is just a big an event (although lacking the
spontaneity) and deservesstudy. I wasn’t really thinking of studying
the “royals” butwhat the people in the street were doing – how they
expressed theirposition in it all. To camp out for days, to wave a flag
to buy a plate or aPeco N scale “Royal Wedding train” says something
about peoplesplace in British society. Were there subversives (remember
the Maori protestsof a few years back where they protested a Royal
Visit by flashing and slappingtheir bums in a traditional gesture of
protest)? What about people like myrelatives on Skye still reflecting
on the failure of ’45?  Itseems like a rich opportunity is or was there
to be studied and maybe contemporaryhistorical archaeology missed
it! Ispent the occasion with 28,000 others at the Sydney Football
Ground in thepouring rain watching my team get beaten. The fans behind
me were watching thewedding on-line! Suchis life Dr Iain
StuartPartnerJCIS Consultants
options
see:http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html-------Visit
  the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting
dates:http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk--------------------------