From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simkin, Bo
Sent: 23 May 2011 10:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Planning Inspectorate Appeal Decisions reg Contaminated Land

The standard model conditions in use are attached. As was stated, these are based upon the DCLG, CIEH Planning Sub Group and Planning Inspectorates consultation and recommended conditions.

The consultation had highlighted potentially contaminative activities within the wider surrounds and a historic landfill located within close proximity to the site. The condition recommended by the planning inspectorate stated:

No development shall take place until a site investigation of the nature and extent of contamination has been carried out in accordance with a methodology which has previously been submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The results of the site investigation shall be made available to the local planning authority before any development begins. If any contamination is found during the site investigation, a report specifying the measures to be taken to remediate the site to render it suitable for the development hereby permitted shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The site shall be remediated in accordance with the approved measures before development begins.

The exercise into deriving and consulting upon model planning conditions by the above groups (inc EPUK) seems to have been little unproductive if this is sufficient???

Again, I'd suggest that a consistent approach between all Local Authorities and the Planning Inspectorate would be of benefit...

Bo Simkin, M.Sc.
Contaminated Land Officer

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council,
Civic Offices,
Merrial Street,
Newcastle-under-Lyme,
Staffordshire,
ST5 2AG

Tel:  01782 742 595
Fax:  01782 713 251
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>