OK, that sounds completely knackered.  Is this in OpenGL mode (so there
should be messages about GL_VENDOR, etc., in the shell if so) or Tk mode
(no such message)?  (Well, assuming it is crashing after that message
appears, which possibly might not be the case.)

Also, if you do "About X11" under the X11 menu then what version are you
using?  (I'm using XQuartz 2.3.6, xorg-server 1.4.2-apple56.)

Wayne