From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason
Busby
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] Difficulty indexing diffraction, cell too small

Hi,

I have a diffraction data-set from a hexagonal rod shaped crystal, to about
2.0 Å.  The problem comes when I try to process the data - Mosflm won't
index it, and XDS indexes it as P622, but the unit cell is too small to
contain even a single molecule of my protein.  I have tried integrating it
in some different space groups that XDS suggested (P2, C2, P1) but in all
cases the Rmerge and Rmeas are worse than for P622.

If I scale in P622 (or any of the other space groups) I get odd results from
the twinning tests.  For example, the 4th moment of E (expected values of 2
for untwinned, 1.5 for perfect twin) is around 1.1, and the L-test and
cumulative intensity distribution are unusual as well (uploaded images here:
http://tinypic.com/r/65rfr7/7 and here:  http://tinypic.com/r/30adgyr/7 )

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.

--
Jason Busby