It’s me again, sorry … the more I think about this database, the more I feel that it throws up some really interesting issues, quite apart from the pricing. Janine suggested to us that the database would be grown by architectural practices, who would be encouraged to contribute content. While this is a nice and trendy idea, I’d be intrigued to know how much editorial control will be exercised in order to prevent the whole thing from degenerating into a glorified AJ-branded Flickr site. I got the impression at our meeting that the database is being driven forward pretty much by one person at the AJ; if this is still the case, will they have the time to ensure that only worthwhile projects are uploaded, let alone grapple with metadata quality, consistency and accuracy? It would also be good to get some reassurance that the database isn’t going to be bloated out with endless examples of ghastly, second-rate PFI school and hospital projects, because I feel that we should be inspiring our students with the really good stuff. On the other hand, I don’t want to want to see a database stuffed with ‘starchitecture’, either.

I think it is legitimate for us to raise these issues because the AJ has such a good reputation, and I’m sure that those of us who do purchase this database will find that students are just going to plunge in and make heavy use of it, possibly at the expense of other resources which we might prefer them to consider alongside it. To some extent, our own professional reputations are on the line here as well – when we subscribe to a database and market it to our users, we’re kind of saying that it comes with our seal of approval.

I’m not picking on Janine or the AJ here, because this could be happening with any of the architectural magazines, they’re just one of the first to try this model. But I think they’re going about it the wrong way, and maybe we can gently help them with some of the issues that they’ve not considered properly, so that we can all end up with a excellent, sensibly-priced new resource.

Or perhaps I’m fussing about nothing, and just need a holiday J

David

David Buri

Academic Liaison Librarian

Glasgow School of Art

167 Renfrew Street

Glasgow G3 6RQ

Scotland

Tel: 0141 353 4701

Email: [log in to unmask]

The Glasgow School of Art is a charity registered in Scotland, charity number SC012490.