I think that this material may have been described by Frank Green in his article on mineraistaion (JAS), but also Wendy Carruthers described similar from Potterne, Wilts - see Lawson 1999 and I believe an article in Circaea.

Many of these items that I've seen scanning many flots seem to be hollow and its just the exterior surfaces that become calcium carbonate or calcium phospo-carbonate replaced .. don't know what they are ... or what Wendy said they might be ... if i remember she too was struggling ... but vshe may have solved the mystery.

Mike