I think that this material may have been described by Frank Green in his
article on mineraistaion (JAS), but also Wendy Carruthers described similar
from Potterne, Wilts - see Lawson 1999 and I believe an article in *Circaea.
*

**
Many of these items that I've seen scanning many flots seem to be hollow and
its just the exterior surfaces that become calcium carbonate or calcium
phospo-carbonate replaced .. don't know what they are ... or what Wendy said
they might be ... if i remember she too was struggling ... but vshe may have
solved the mystery.

Mike

--
Dr Michael J Allen, MIfA, FLS, FSA
AEA: Allen Environmental Archaeology
Tel. 07828 103454    website at www.themolluscs.com

and Visiting Research Fellow in Environmental Archaeology
Bournemouth University